Tuesday, September 8, 2009

quiche


When I got engaged my family church hosted a bridal shower for me. But since I was moving straight to the UK after our wedding, I asked all the ladies in the church to give me their favourite recipes instead of gifts. One of these was for spinach quiche. I made it recently and realised why it was a much used recipe in the home of the lady who gave it to me: it relies mostly on pantry staples, is filling, and easy. Two amazingly easy features: the crust does not require rolling out, nor does the crust need to be baked before adding the filling.
Spinach Quiche

Crust:
1 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 c oil
2 T milk

Filling:
2 kg frozen or fresh spinach, greens, or chard
1 c yogurt
1 small onion, chopped
2 T oil
2 eggs
1/2 c dried milk powder
1/2 t salt
1/3 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Combine the flour and salt. Add oil and milk and mix with a fork. Spread in nine inch pie plate with your fingers.
Wash and cook the spinach lightly in only a little water, until just limp. Drain and chop well.
Heat oil in frying pan, add onion and spinach and cook for a few minutes, until onion is tender soft.
In a bowl, beat eggs and stir in yogurt, milk powder, and salt. Add spinach and onions. Stir together and pour into unbaked crust.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 375 F/190 C for 25 minutes, until firm and starting to brown.

The dried milk powder adds protein and calcium, but can be omitted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails