Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Edible Gift: Chocolate Peppermint Bark


Last year at Christmas I made about fifteen of my colleagues and neighbours peppermint bark as a gift. I made dark chocolate and white chocolate bark, with Tawnya's help.


It took one evening to make and another to package. The wrapping and ingredients cost me less than £20 in total, as I recall. It was so fun for the two of us to do something together and it really impressed my colleagues. Making peppermint bark involved melting good quality chocolate, mixing in a few drops of peppermint flavouring, then pouring onto baking sheets. We popped them in the freezer briefly to half set, then scored the lines and sprinkled over some crushed candy canes. Finally, we let the bark completely harden in the freezer. The next day I wrapped up a selection of bark in pretty packages with cellophane and ribbons.


I'm on the lookout for more edible gifts this year. Earlier today I saw a selection of recipes for barks and brittles from The Kitchn (a favourite place of inspiration for me). I plan to make some hot chocolate mixes as one idea (stolen from an Australian food magazine I got in the summer), but I'm also thinking of a few other ideas. Any suggestions or plans of your own?

2 comments:

Choclette said...

In the past I've given chutney, my chilli sauce in nice recycled glass bottles and cakes. Wondering what to do this year - like the idea of the bark.

Hilary said...

I made bark this year for my Secret Santa. I can't believe you make edible gifts for your neighbours - LOL, they must be friendlier than ours!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails