Sunday, February 28, 2010

tiramisu (for the Daring Bakers)


I think my first Daring Bakers challenge has been a success. The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession. Recipes for all of the parts are available from Aparna.


I made the whole dessert from scratch, which led to some scary moments in the kitchen. Making the mascarpone cheese was the first part I attempted and although it looks more like butter, it turned out tasty in the end.


Making the lady finger biscuits was my next challenge. They are beautiful, puffy little things. I wish I had made twice as many so I could use some for another dessert, or just served plain with coffee.


I made the pastry cream, whipped cream, and zabaglione (a sweet paste made with port) and mixed them with the mascarpone. Then the whole tiramisu is assembled with layers of lady fingers (dipped in sweet espresso) and layers of the cream mixture.


Dusted with unsweetened cocoa to contrast with the cream mixture, it is a very sweet dessert with layers of spongy biscuit and smooth, cold cream.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Your first DB challenge? Wow! And what a success! Fabulous tiramisu! And congrats on your perfect mascarpone - mine was a disaster and I ended up using store-bought! But I adore tiramisu - it must be my favorite dessert. Yours is really perfect and I love the fork pattern!

AlessioFangano said...

Welcome on Board Sarah! :-) Your Tiramisu looks pretty nice, funny the butter-mascarpone :P
Waiting for my slice now!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first DB Challenge. Your tiramisu looks great. I love the picture of the fork in the cocoa powder!

Deeba PAB said...

Well done on your first DB challenge Sarah. It's perfect, and looks perfect delicious too! Very nice indeed! Love how beautifully it sliced, and love the fork impression too! Yay you!!

Sarah said...

Thank you all for your encouragement. This Daring Bakers' challenge was a real challenge for me and I'm so happy it turned out well. I'm looking forward to more challenges in the next months!

Unknown said...

I was the lucky one who got to each this culinary delight. Excellent work Sarah, I never order Tiramasu in restaurants as I feel its often not the best thing on the menu but I think I might start trying it more often now. Perfect flavour! Can you do it again please!!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

OMW - you made your own mascarpone........wow. You're brave!!!!!! I love Tiramisu but one reason I haven't joined the DB is I'm not slim. Or tall. And I know this would make it worse.......well done, again!

TeaLady said...

Welcome to DB. You did a fantastic job on your first challenge.

This group has taken me WAY out of my comfort zone and I love it.

Jeanne said...

Your mascarpone looks similar to mine. I was worried that I cooked it too much, but it tasted delicious anyway! Welcome to the Daring Bakers, your first challenge looks beautiful!

Jamesmak said...

Muhammadi Exchange is one of the fastest growing money exchange companiesin Pakistan, providing services such as foreign exchange, money transfer and payment solutions to thousands of customers

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails