Sunday, January 16, 2011

lemon and ginger hot drink for colds and flu


My brain is thrashing about inside a plastic bag, fighting to be free. Ever since I've had this cold, I feel as though my captured mind is being suffocated. The pain in my sinuses, nose, throat, and ears causes a fog so dense that I can't reach the outside world, nor can it reach me. What can bring me some release?

Lemon, ginger, and honey are what I need. The sour lemon cuts through my brain fog. The ginger pierces the suffocating confusion, while there's honey to help my throat. A sprig of warm rosemary at the bottom of the mug is all that's left of the drink as I hobble back to the couch to doze off, tired from the fight, but free.


Hot Lemon, Ginger, and Honey Drink
adapted from Leon: Ingredients and Recipes
makes 6 hot drinks

6 lemons, juiced
4 cm of root ginger, minced
1/4 c (60 ml) honey
a large sprig of rosemary

Mix the lemon juice, ginger, and honey in a bowl and microwave or heat in a saucepan until the honey is dissolved. Mix well.
Add the rosemary sprig.
Store in a jar in the fridge until needed.

To make a hot lemon drink, add 4 t of the mixture to a mug and top up with boiling water.

2 comments:

emily jane said...

Hope you're feeling okay! I'm so excited to see the Leon recipes, I found Leon when I was in England last year and have missed it since coming home. Can't wait to get the books for myself :D

sarah said...

Hi Emily Jane, thanks for your well wishes. I'm enjoying my couch time. I love Leon and miss it, too, since I left London. I've made quite a few recipes from the Leon cookbook, and I hear there is a new one, now, too. Let me know as soon as you try some Leon recipes!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails