Saturday, September 24, 2011

Frozen Banana Cream Pie (Sugar-Free)


I am coming closer to giving up sugar. I have been like a toddler throwing down a toy and then crying for it back again. Every time I get close to making a decision to quit sugar I start to binge eat it. For example, at work I keep a stash of chocolate fingers as rewards for students. On Wednesday afternoon I brought them into our office after everyone else had gone home. I set them on my desk and ate twenty, at least. I know because they were individually wrapped; there were two handfuls of wrappers to throw out after I was done.

And it's the same at home. Anthony brought some chocolates from the UK when he returned from his trip last week. I have been sneaking them when he's not looking. I feel like a quivering alcoholic. I know my addiction is getting bad because I am no longer limiting myself to eating treats in socially acceptable situations. Instead when I am by myself I scoff down the sweet stuff and then feel guilty afterwards. I try to hide the evidence. Sadly, I think this must stop soon.

Or is it "happily, this must stop"? I know that for the sake of my health I need to get my addiction under control. I'm supposed to be a healthy eating blogger! I imagine I will be more energetic and certainly more in control if I could give up sugar. But I can't quite convince myself to do it.


I have started following some healthy eating blogs and reading fewer baking blogs. On one of my new follows I found this amazing pie that is sugar-free and definitely fooled all my dinner guests. If I am going to make healthy desserts, I want them to taste good. Healthy desserts should taste good enough to not be described as "a healthy dessert that tastes good" but just plain delicious. And this pie was one of those.
Frozen Banana Cream Pie
adapted from Spoonful of Sugar Free
makes one 8 or 9 inch pie

for the crust:
1 1/2 c (125 g) walnuts
4 large dates
3 T cocoa
pinch of salt

for the filling:
3 or 4 frozen bananas

Make the crust by combining all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix well.
Add a splash of water, if necessary, to get the crust to come together into a sticky mass.
Press the crust into an 8 or 9 inch pie dish.
Put the dish into the freezer while you prepare the filling.

Let the bananas rest out of the freezer for 15 minutes.
Chop roughly and then blend in a strong blender of food processor with the ice crushing function. Aim for a creamy, custard consistency. If the bananas are too frozen, let them rest for a few more minutes.
Spread the filling over the crust and freeze for 2 hours or more.

Remove the pie from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Garnish the pie with blueberries or cocoa powder.

Do you have a food addiction?

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails