Sunday, May 26, 2013

Roasted Aubergine Dip

I am a veg-aholic. You may already know that I am in love with vegetables. That's why I started this blog. I think more people should become crazy veg-lovers! My main goal with this blog is to inspire other people to love vegetables - because I think they can be really versatile and delicious.

A lot of the people I meet have had bad experiences with vegetables. For example, have you tasted overcooked, mushy carrots with your school dinners? Or foul smelling boiled cauliflower, blanketed in bland sauce? There are some atrocious vegetable dishes out there!


Aubergine (eggplant) is not my favourite vegetable because I find it a bit boring - there, I said it. Aubergine can be dull. But not when roasted! I tend to over-roast it a bit so that the edges are charred and it's soft and shrivelled. Then it makes astoundingly good dip. This is a simple way to fall in love with aubergine once and for all; try it and let me know if you are not a veg-aholic after one bite.

Roasted Eggplant Dip
makes 2 cups

400 g aubergines (eggplants)
1/4 c + 1 T (5 T, 75 ml) olive oil
1/4 c (60 ml) lemon juice
2 T tahini paste
1/2 t sea salt

Preheat the oven to 375 F (180 C). Cut the aubergine into slices and place in a roasting tin.
Roast the aubergine for 45 minutes or until very soft and dark brown, and hopefully a little charred. Allow to cool.

Combine the aubergine with all the other ingredients in a food processor.
Process until smooth.
Eat with carrot sticks, other cut veggies, or crackers.

What are the best (and worst) vegetable dishes you have eaten?

Other delicious aubergine dishes:
Aubergine Fries
"Fish fragrant" aubergines (no fish involved!)
Pizza with eggplant crust, from Secret Menu

Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails