Thursday, July 23, 2015

Salmon Burgers


When I saw this recipe in Weeknight Wonders by Ellie Krieger, I was quite excited. You see, my husband loves burgers and I love salmon. Ha! This would be the best of both--and it was.

I adapted Ellie's recipe a little, of course, to make it grain-free. In her version, she uses breadcrumbs and an egg white to help stick everything together. In my rendition, I use almond meal (also called almond flour) and a whole egg to provide binding. I served the burgers in lettuce cups with tahini-yogurt sauce, cucumber slices, basil leaves, and carrot curls. I think next time I would make them half the size for ease of eating in the lettuce cups. Salmon sliders!


Salmon Burgers
serves 2-3
adapted from Weeknight Wonders

450 g salmon, skinless and boneless
1/2 medium red pepper, finely chopped
3 green onions, sliced
2 T freshly grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg
1 1/3 c (125 g) almond meal
1 T soy sauce
1 t sesame oil
pepper

sauce:
1/2 c (125 ml) plain yogurt
2 T tahini
1 t hot sauce
1/2 t sesame oil
salt and pepper

accompaniments:
lettuce leaves
sliced cucumber
carrot curls (made from 1 carrot using a peeler)

Place the salmon into a food processor and pulse a few times to break it up into small pieces.
In a large bowl, mix the salmon and all the other ingredients.
Heat some butter in a frying pan. Form the mixture into patties and fry for about 5 minutes on each side. (The time may be more for fatter burgers and less for thinner ones.)

Mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
Serve the burgers with the sauce and the accompaniments.

This dish is part of our Eating with Ellie blogging group. If you want to join in, next week it's catch-up week so we are making any recipe from the list we have tried so far from Weeknight Wonders. You are welcome to join us; no long term commitment required. Visit the others in my blogging group to see if they liked the recipe.

Do you like salmon or burgers (or both)?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails